Monday, February 11, 2013

This time I took notes....Episode??

So, last night's episode was so fun for me.  I laughed out loud a couple of times!  The Dowager was in usual form and some lines were just plain good.  But because so much happened I need to break it down by character and their impact on me last night.

Mrs. O'Brien and Thomas (Mr. Burrows):  What a SPIDER she is as she weaves her web around her victim unbeknownst to them!!  Why in heaven's name do any of them listen to her?? If this isn't a case of 'there is no honor among theives' I am not sure what is.  I mean, where did this turn of events really come from.  Her determination to ruin Thomas is a little crazy.  I understand that she wants Alfred to become First Footman, but she is just so far over the line.  And Thomas is reverting to what I am guessing was a former position as bullied schoolboy.  But I felt genuinely bad for him.  Carson with his tactful and sensitive approach "you are disgusting and foul but you can't really help it because you were made twisted" or something like that.  I was pleased that Thomas corrected him a little..."I am not foul."  But it does give some insight as to what homosexuals had/have to deal with...good grief!  Having said that, what the H was Thomas thinking when he went into James' room, (I know what he was thinking) but why would he wait until he was asleep except that he knew in his heart that James wasn't gay (or at least if he is, he is not interested in him).  Sigh!  So many dumb choices.  So I will get back to this later because the other big thing was....



Branson and Sibby:  Handsome Branson is now accepted as a member of the family!  Kudos to Cora, Mary, Matthew and Edith.  And I am not sure, but I think that baby is the most beautiful one I have ever seen on tv.  I loved all the insistence on calling him "Tom"  I equally enjoyed the idea of him playing cricket for the family (and his attire...wasn't that all so pretty!) and him requiring his brother to behave as a deference to Cora.  (There were a couple of times I could actually see Sybil looking down smiling...maybe because the lines of reality and fantasy have blurred lol!)
       ** Notable moment:  At the dinner table when Robert mocks the mass and the only one who laughs is the man who he considers well beneath him...Tom's brother.  Hmmm...well done Mr.
Fellowes.

The two most touching moments though came when Tom was able to bring Robert around by discussing the value of shared strengths and when he told Cora he would live in the house.   Something inside Robert woke up and you could tell that he looked at Tom anew...he was able to connect in a way that Matthew didn't. Likewise something in Tom woke up and he was able to see the value of his baby being loved by her mother's family.  Gone are the impressions of a cold, heartless household, and maybe he is seeing that Sybil didn't end up this way through chance...Cora, for all her faults is a very loving person whose family is her main priority. 

 I was thinking about this and considering how Tom's Irish eloquence and his Catholicism have been used well.  He has been the man who has been able to speak about his feelings, good or otherwise.  He has a wonderful power of persuasion that goes beyond his pretty blue eyes...and he has an integrity that you cannot ignore.  He is definitely my favorite male character because he is the perfect contrast to the perfectly measured responses of the upper class.  Dancing around their feelings and when they speak plainly, as Cora sometimes will, she is accused of "going American" on them.  But here is Tom, part of the British Empire, able to speak the truth in an "acceptable" manner. (I like these little nuances, can you tell?)  The message of each person should be judged as an individual is again spoken to in the differences between Tom and his brother.  All families have their shining stars and their dull pennies.

Speaking of shiny, what was up with the little tartlet who showed up last night? Rose?  Was that to illustrate that times are changing (as they enter the roaring 20's) or is there something bigger going on here?  How much do you love the Dowager with her cunning ways!  She is too much!

   ** Notable moment:  Christening pictures with Granny, Robert and the baby....and the priest.  That had to be  a setup!  haha!


Ok, that must be all for the moment.  Next: Bates and Anna, Edith, Alfred, Ethel....Dowager...Isobelle...wow!  There was a lot to cover!




 

2 comments:

  1. After today's papal news, I am exhausted from a busy day at work. I am in agreement with you all around. How I wish I had the time and energy to day more!

    I will say this, what Tom said to Lord Grantham about each person having gifts and having to put them at the disposal of the family for the common good... SO Catholic!

    Thank you for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the activity about the announcement. Hopefully when you are rested and relaxed you can come back and share your insights...would love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete