Sunday, February 3, 2013

Forgiveness and Love in the Abbey

For a second week in a row I was in tears at the end of an episode.  It is hard not not to be touched in various ways when two people who love each other are finally able to share one of the most emotional times their lives will present them.  As angry as I am with Lord Grantham I was was happy that the Dowager Countess was able to exercise some wisdom and help him and Cora get past the barrier of blame.  But part of me is annoyed that once again, the his Lordship is not forced to see what his hand has dealt.  He showed more emotion when Bates was getting ready to leave him in Season 2 for a second time.  I don't doubt that he feels the loss of Sybil deeply, which is why even hearing her name suggested for her daughter is unacceptable, but I really wish that what Cora had laid at his feet were not so much that he didn't trust their family doctor, (MAN! I DO not envy Clarkson!) but more importantly, he didn't trust her maternal instincts.  THAT in my world, would be the singular point, "You didn't trust me."  But since I am hurting for Cora, I am happy that she can now lean a little on the only other person who understands what she has lost.  She was looking colder and colder in her prison so in that sense, I am pleased with the outcome.  Forgiveness is always good.

But as predicted,the women have grown weary of his Lordships outdated version of manliness. In this episode, Mary proved herself worthy of nobility when she was true to her sister's wishes about honoring whatever Tom wanted for the baby.  She could have played dumb, after all, we know what his Lordship thinks of Papists.  But she delivered the best line just prior to telling her father that he had lost on the Christening count.  He had just returned from the luncheon where he acted abominably and recounted who and why he was angry, when Mary pointed toward the truth, 'That isn't why you are angry..."you are angry because the world isn't going your way anymore" and you don't like it'.  Ding! Ding! Ding!  Unfortunately, no bells went off in his head, just more self-pity and more denial!  He can be wearisome.  Thankfully, Mary reminded him that Sybil loved Tom very much...he needs to deal with it.  And three cheers for Edith and Matthew who are trying to incorporate Tom into the family. 

By the by, will Mary and Matthew raise Sybil?  Will Tom stay??

Then there is the Bates story.  By playing dirty himself, Bates makes the problems go away.  Interesting and yet....hmmm...I just don't know what to do about him.  He plays the genial good guy who just has hard luck but something makes me itch!  What is it??

Onto Carson. One point for handing Branson his breakfast plate...otherwise he is the very picture of Christian love this week!  Jeez Louise!  What gives???  Good golly, Ethel was annoying and showed bad judgement but Mary did the same thing and she is a queen in his eyes!  What a hypocrite...but Ethel isn't "his" family!  Many cheers for Mrs. Pattmore and Mrs. Hughes...I love those two.  And hooray for Daisy, who deserves to end her days of service by inheriting property and land more than her??? 

So what do you think?  Does Jimmy prefer her?

 How thick can Thomas be that he can't see O'Brian is setting him up?  The kitchen is crazy.  For the record, the Alfred/Ivy story is just annoying to me.

Love to hear your thoughts!!!



 

2 comments:

  1. I had sworn that I had put your blog into my reader, so that I would not miss anything, but clearly I had not... I came directly here this morning, and see that I missed things! That situation has been corrected now!

    Oh dear, so much to consider from last night. Yes, the juxtaposition between Cora's anger, which came out of the huge loss of her daughter. I think that the floodgate that released the anger was opened by Sybil's death, but also the underlying knowledge, subconscious or not, that the world was changing... and Robert was not.

    I agree that Mary's clarity with her father is important; good for her

    It was good to see that there may be vindication for Bates, but what of the long haul? I do not think that he killed his first wife, but I also find some lingering cause for suspicion. Example, his use of force last night. I think that many might see it as justifiable; maybe it is. But... I don't know. Something is still bothering me.

    Having said all that, there is so much redemptive grace present in Anna's love for him.

    The situation with Tom wanting baby Sybil to be baptized Catholic is fascinating. And while I laughed at the use of the term "pagan folderol," etc, I also look with seriousness on the weight of anti-Catholicism at that time.

    This dovetails with Lady Cora's remarks about both that other doctor, and about Robert's words about Ethel - it is not about who is in Debrett's!

    One other thing about this... will Mary and Matthew raise the baby? I kind of hope not, because I want things to work out for Tom. I kind of hope he will take on a tenancy, and raise sheep! His own life with his daughter, but nearby. I know - soooo unrealistic!

    Speaking of Ethel, I see lots of grace there, in Isabel Crawley's outreach and compassion with her. Add in Mrs. Patmore's help with the cooking, and we see the power of transforming love again.

    Oh gosh, Daisy! I hope that it works out for her with the farm. She has grown up so much over the years and I love her character.

    So much more to say, but no time! I will end with this, yes - THOMAS! What the what?

    Must run... thanks for this. I will be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Fran. I am not sure that I have used the word Grace for all of the goodness and compassion we see. Good word to throw into this, because I agree with you, Anna's love is just that.

    What you say about Cora made me think....quite a bit. Her anger, "either conscious or subconscious"...I have been mulling that over since I think there is a lot there. I think she has swallowed a lot of anger (and as I review the past seasons with the kids I notice it more). I think she is annoyed that he cannot imagine her doing something useful during the war (because he was all for show) and that was a seed...compounded by sending her youngest away (at one point she says, "I will see my grandchild Robert), losing her fortune in a shoddy business adventure (then considering her the weaker sex!) I am sure there is more and Sybil is simply the absolute straw. So, it makes me wonder that even though they have stepped onto the bridge, what will happen to allow them to cross together. I am curious. Or maybe I just hold a grudge longer (haha!) I am still ruminating about Carson so I will be back with that!

    ReplyDelete