Saturday, January 31, 2015

Miss Bunting Must Go Part one

**** Please forgive me, I wrote this Monday and never finished it.  Here are some thoughts on the last episode*********


I wonder if anyone else had a collective moment of horror with the tactless Miss Bunting that happened in our house.  We were all yelling, "You need to shut up and leave!!" by the end of dinner.  What the heck was that all about?  Why is she so determined to insult Robert?  Now mind you, Robert was on my nerves here and there so I would have been perfectly happy if Cora set him straight, but because it was the arrogant, disrespectful and dishonest Miss Bunting, I won't have it.  I say dishonest because she sits in judgement of those who she considers as sitting in judgement.  Her own prejudice shows itself in her need to call Robert out about the treatment of his servants when she knows nothing about it.  She considers them as looking down on these various "house" positions, when in fact, it is she who looks down on them.  The Grantham family has always respected their help and has seen them as part of the larger picture of their legacy.  Evidenced by Granny apologizing for the "inconsiderate and disrespectful" interruption of their work.  Because the family understands keenly how important it is to a good servant to serve well.  It is honorable work.  But Miss Bunting can't look beyond her own credentials to appreciate the skill that is required to be part of the machine that runs such a large and active estate. She is blinded by her arrogance and is insensitive to the actual situation of others outside of the narrative that she has created in her head.  OH MY GOSH!  I could go on but I will stop there.  Tom needs to break ties with her...she is not for handsome Branson.

This was such a good episode!  The proposal from Lord Merton had all of us gushing.  It was beautiful, practical and from the heart.  I think Mrs. Crawley is going to really consider it.  I wonder if she realized just how tightly wound she was, there was just the slightest softening, real softening in her features.  To think of how long she has been with out love, it made me a little sad for her and even though he is awkward, I think it would be a good match.

Violet and Prince Caspian (I know that isn't his name but I have made it his name to annoy my children, 'THIS ISN'T NARNIA MOM!') have an interesting relationship.  Love that she considered running away with him...but her children made her see sense.  Makes her ability to relate with her granddaughters that much more believable.  Remember it was she who sent money to Sybil and Tom so they could come home.  She has the gift of "long-view" that her son didn't. But, one of the lines that I liked in that parting of information was that her husband held these feelings "under an extremely thick veni

No comments:

Post a Comment