Monday, January 28, 2013

Why? Why Would They Kill Sybil???

So this is my first official post on this blog.  I had too, it is not ready as I wanted it to be but after last night, I just couldn't wait until I had time for it to be "ship shape in Bristol fashion!"  I mean....SYBIL!  Why would they kill our dear girl?  Who next? Anna??

I am going to re-watch the episode except for the grueling part which hit a little too close to home for me...(my third daughter was born via c-section because toxemia had begun, so that was close enough).  But the whole while I was ready to strangle Lord Grantham...pride in the end killed his daughter.  When will he learn that the stars are not on his side when he is answering to his pride?  And poor Tom (who I usually refer to as Handsome Branson) to lose his wife in such a horrific way, good thing he is Irish!  But Cora...who knew...and who was not listened to.  Woebegone the man who ignore the mothers intuition.  Poor Cora...

My other thought was a curious one.  Mary witnessing the death due to ecclampsia when she was hoping to get pregnant herself...I wonder what Mr. Fellowes is doing there. 

Thomas, who officially has a heart.  It took a while, but it was good to see.  And leave that poor young handsome footman alone...what do you think is going to happen there?

Bates, who I have been thinking is guilty...I have re-watched the past two seasons and I am no closer to tilting on either side strongly.  There is evidence on both...but there is also something in the look on his face when he is pronounced guilty that makes me wonder if I am wrong...and of course for Anna's sake, I want to be wrong.

So I will end with Matthew and the Dowager Countess.  She made me want to cry at her unsteady walk but she is a pillar indeed. Matthew on the other hand, when did he get so insensitive and unfeeling??  Very disappointed in him last night.

Please share your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. So glad to see this blog!

    Oh what an episode. I cried and cried. It was shocking. And now we will wait and see how it plays out as Tom was pretty clear in the preview for next week - he is Irish and the child will be Catholic!

    I am in agreement with you pretty much all around... pretty much! I was not so suspicious of Bates until you said something at PFO, but it did hit me that you were onto something. Last night I wavered. Is he guilty or does he just have other secrets?

    And that scene with the Dowager walking, another *sob* moment. Matthew... what the what is up with him???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I still feel the trauma! I was crying with you. So glad you are excited for this space, I am too! I have been talking with so many people about it but it feels like a book club! I need to have the conversation once.

      My daughters are in Season One too, and just met Handsome Branson so when I saw them afterward, I just said, "That was the hardest episode to watch...but I can't tell you why!" Haha! Thus, I was splitting at the seams!

      Thanks Fran! You already made this fun! :)

      Delete
    2. Annette, I just read this and thought of you. I have not seen the things she described on Fox, but I am in agreement with the talk of the women, etc.

      And don't thank me for making this fun, I am grateful for you for doing it!!

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/01/29/the-politics-of-downton-abbey-down-with-the-patriarchy/

      Delete